Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Week 10 - October 10, 2016

Hey guys, it was good to hear from you all!

I am glad you were safe in Florida and that the storm didn't hit you.  I hope you all had a great week. 

This week was probably the hardest week of my mission, to be honest.  Pretty much, every single one of our investigators dropped us, and we are starting back at square one.  I don't even want to talk about it much, so this might be a shorter email, but let's just say I am glad that it is over and am looking forward to this next one. 

Tuesday:  We had our District meeting for the week, and I learned a lot of good stuff about Faith/Works and what the differences are and the importance of them.  If you didn't know, a lot of other Christian churches believe all you gotta do is say you love Jesus, and you're saved and it's that easy.  And it is true, Jesus Christ has suffered for all mankind and has already saved us!  But, you still gotta do a bit of works if you want to inherit eternal glory. That was good.  We then headed over to the library, read the Book of Mormon with Vicky some more, and had lunch.  After lunch, we taught a new investigator named Alice from Britain.  The lesson went really well!  She agreed to read and meet with us again this coming week, so we will see how it goes.  After Alice, we had about three hours of GQ'ing up and down the streets, then went over to the church and had dinner with our Ward Mission leader named Leon and had Ward Coordination.  After that, we taught David how to pass the Sacrament so that he can start passing on Sundays!

Wednesday:  We went on exchanges with the other Aberdeen Elders.  I got to go with Elder Ritchie.  We didn't have a single lesson planned for the day, so we literally just GQ'd from sun up until sun down in their area.  Not a single person stopped and talked to us and agreed to have a lesson, that was tough.  But we were able to have some good talks and tried our best to make it as enjoyable as possible.  I did get some cool pics of some street art, too.
 



Thursday:  I was back with Elder Elsmore.  We only had one lesson with a guy named Adam, who is Bahai or however you spell it?!  Some crazy religion that accepts every religion as being right.  I don't even know.  The lesson sucked, he was nice and all, but he is not getting baptized any time soon haha.  After that, we GQ'd the entire day, which was hard, not a lot of success, then we went over to a dinner appointment we had.  Those two American Girls named Lauren and Lo that I talked about before made us a really good meal, and we had fun talking to them.  We tried to talk to them more about our church, and they said they love Mormons since they live in Cali and have a ton of friends, but they are not giving up Alcohol/Tea/Coffee.  So we taught them the Word of Wisdom, and they said they'll still have us over for dinner once in a while, and are really friendly, but not getting baptized any time soon either.

Friday:  We had our studies, then headed over to the Stake Centre for Zone leader Conference.  It went well, it was just for the ZL's and DL's all over our area, but I learned a lot from it.  I got my Halloween package you guys sent me, too!  THANK YOU so much!!  It was the highlight of my week!  I love getting them from you guys and thank you so much once again, I can't tell you how many times how thankful I am.  It really boosts my spirits haha and helps me remember I have people back home who still love me and are cheering me on, gets me through the hard days.  Other then that, we taught our less active John Howard which is always a good time, then GQ'd for the entire day trying to find some new people to teach!


 

Saturday:  Today was the HARDEST day of my mission.  Not a single lesson, we GQ'd the entire day with pretty much no success.  I really was beating myself up all day, too.  It's hard not to when you feel like the past seven weeks have been for nothing and all you do the entire day is think about it.  We did have a dinner appointment though with the guy Elder Corcoran and I found last week named Matt.  He is doing super solid, I really hope he gets baptized.  But, he is in the ZL's area and so they now get to teach him.  It's all about building the kingdom of God though, not who gets them in the water.  I gotta remember that haha.  In summary, a tough day.

Sunday:  We started off with Ward Coordination, where we told everyone that we want to serve the ward more, because that is something I felt like we were lacking on.  So this week, we should have some service which will be good.  Church was pretty good.  We were suppose to have four investigators come to church, and none showed up haha.  A little frustrating to say the least, especially when people can't progress without coming to church, but hopefully next week someone will come.   After church, there was a little "Munch and Mingle" which was good to get to know the ward better and offer more service.  After church, we GQ'd for a few hours, and had a lesson!  We taught two new people named Kim and Kat (That's pretty funny isn't it) who were from America, knew a little bit about Mormons, and were interested in hearing more.  We had a good lesson with them.  They told us they will meet again next week.  The only problem is they had a lot of concern about the church and our stand on gay people.  So we had to talk to them and discuss that a bit.  It was good though.  After their lesson, we GQ'd for the rest of the night and called it.

So that was my week as best as I can remember.  It was hard.  I seriously doubted myself a lot and questioned why I am here, because I feel like I have accomplished nothing haha. But I know if I keep being obedient and work as hard as I can, I will be able to see the miracles.  I miss you all a lot, thank you for the emails and pictures, they help.  I hope that we can have a better week, remember to thank God for everything he has given you.  We truly are so blessed.  People here have nothing at all to make them happy but beer and cigarettes, and are so messed up, it really has humbled me.  I love you guys, talk to you soon. 
-Elder Copeland

No comments:

Post a Comment